We undertake Probate work at hourly rates of £185+ Vat per hour of work.
Probate: our estimate to obtain a Grant and to gather in and distribute assets
We anticipate this will take between 4 and 8 hours work at £185 + Vat per hour. Total costs estimated at £888 – £1,776 inclusive of Vat at 20%.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
We will handle the full process for you. This quote is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 3 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are up to 4 beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
Disbursements included in this fee:
- Probate application fee of £155 plus 50p each for any additional copies (we would generally advise asking for 5 additional copies)
- £7 Swearing of the oath (per executor) where there is a Will, or £5 for an intestacy
- Bankruptcy Search (£2 per beneficiary)
- £84.60 + Vat to place a post in The London Gazette – this protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors (these fees are beyond our control and can be seen at https://www.thegazette.co.uk/place-notice/pricing)
- Approximately £80-£120 to place a post in a Local Newspaper – This also helps to protect against unexpected claims.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Potential additional costs
- If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
- Where we are the Executor, we may also charge a fee of 1% of the net estate.
How long will this take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 6-12 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 6 – 12 weeks from us receiving all valuations of assets. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 2-4 months. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 2-4 weeks.
Inheritance tax is payable on large estates. HMRC provides an Inheritance tax calculator on the following link, but we will assist you in calculating the tax when you instruct us:
Who will deal with my case?
GGP can handle Probate and Estate Administration matters serviced by a team of experienced and capable solicitors. Cumulatively, they have over 80 years’ experience and are supported by experienced and well trained Support Staff. Our firm is Lexcel accredited and are audited annually. Lexcel is The Law Society’s quality assurance standard for client care, compliance and practice management.
You will find biographies for all our Probate practitioners on our “People” page – https://www.ggplaw.co.uk/our-people/
For your information those carrying out Probate work are:
Emily Clarke, Judith Morris and Macsen Williams.